From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 16:39:33 PST
Sarina Adelman, fellow list member, gave us a "concerned" posting about
what Sony Classical is up to these days.  I share her concern and would
like to add a few comments.

Sony has evidently killed its "Vivarte" series, greatly reduced its new
classical music releases, and apparently is reducing its reissue policy.
But, don't think that Sony Classical will just put out less music.  Peter
Gelb, the head of Sony Classical, is one of the "prime" sources which plans
to change the essence of classical music.  Watch out for this guy!  He's
devoted at all cost to the "almighty dollar." Gelb is intelligent, knows
business, and has PLANS.  He could well end up being very successful.  If
so, others will follow and emulate him.  We could even get to the point
where Mr.  Smyth is concerned.

What provides me with optimism is that other companies, as has been proven,
will fill the void.  It's just a shame that this void is spreading fast.
I wish that Gelb would turn his full attention to professional wrestling;
he'd be greatly successful and in a pure entertainment industry where he
belongs.  Everybody would be a winner.

Don Satz