From:
Marcus Maroney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:18:39 -0500
My favorite Beethoven pianists are Richard Goode (what a cycle!) and
Kovacevich (his EMI recordings).  I also enjoy Brendel's earlier recordings
on Vox.  Jando on Naxos is variable, but many of the performances are
first-class.  I really must say I don't like Kempff that much for the same
reason I don't really like his Brahms---not enough pedal for me, but that's
just a peronal opinion.

For the symphonies I enjoy Szell's Cleveland cycle, Gardiner, and Mackerras
(9th from EMI).  These are all extremely exciting high-spirited accounts
of these pinnacles of western art.  I really appreciate all 3 conductors'
abilities to make the music speak for itself and their general adherence
to Beethoven's wishes.

Marcus Maroney