From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:34:50 -0600
Dave Hardman:

>I cannot understand why Americans don't boast loudly about Elliott Carter.

Well, for one thing, he's hard.  For another, most Americans don't know
who the hell he is, including Americans supposedly interested in the arts.
Fortunately, Carter, with family money from children's clothes, doesn't
have to care.  Watching his career has been fascinating.  Here's a guy with
no financial pressures on him and a fierce ambition to turn out the best
that's in him, as well as solid craft and something of his own to say.  In
terms of sheer finish, I can think of few contemporary musical works which
rival his.

That all said, I must admit my reservations about a lot of Carter, chief of
which is that he's never vulgar; everything is in great taste.  It bothers
me, for example, that Ives inspires him, but the culture that inspired Ives
does not.  I sometimes get the impression, listening to his music, I've
been caught at a High Church sherry party.  I'd prefer a bar or a juke
joint.

Steve Schwartz