From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:15:42 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>I haven't acquired any new recordings of the Beethoven and Brahms violin
>concertos for some time and am interested in the recent recordings of the
>Beethoven by Hilary Hahn, Brahms by Vengerov, and both by Rosand on Vox.
>Any opinions?

I haven't heard the Rosand recordings, but I have heard him live, here in
Reston, in the summer of 1967.  We has a music camp here than for junior
and senior high school kids from all over the hemisphere and Rosand was
either on the faculty or a guest soloist for one of their concerts (given
either al fresco in what was then Reston's only town plaza or in a tent).
This went on for two, maybe three summers, and then the funds for same were
no longer forthcoming.

During that first summer, Rosand played both the Beethoven and the Brahms
concertos at a single concert.  I thought he was great, but I'm easy to
please when they play music I like.

Walter Meyer