From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:20:07 +0000
Peter Lynch:

>Has anyone heard this newly released recording? It is my first exposure
>to Tureck, whose Bach playing is legendary, it seems.  Based on her
>reputation, without really knowing what to expect, I anticipated being
>"blown away." Instead, I found myself taken aback by the slowness of the
>tempi, and the apparent sameness of the tempi, from variation to variation.

When I first listened to the DG Tureck Goldberg, I shared Peter's initial
astonishment at the slowness of the performance and the way she seems to
squeeze every last ounce (or should I say "gram") out of every phrase.
She makes you very much aware that this is "her" view of Goldberg.  Once I
realised - and accepted - this premise, then I found that the performance
became strangely evocative.  It takes you to places other Goldbergs never
visit.  There is some wonderful playing in it, some beautiful phrasing,
some exquisite articulation - and, yes, a massive degree of
self-indulgence.  It will never be my favourite Goldberg - but it
is certainly one I am pleased I possess.

Jonathan