From:
Wilson Pereira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:20:37 -0300
Jon Johanning wrote:

>... there is the great advantage (for the consumer) of getting recordings
>directly ..., wherever you are in the world, without having to put up
>with the capricious issuing and re-issuing policies of the record
>companies, about which there is much grumbling on this list.

I don't consider getting recordings directly from the records company
to your computer an advantage.  What about the notes (the booklet), the
photos, the record-sleeve, the technical information? This is all part of
a collection of CM records.

Bert Bailey:

>In a few years, you or I will be calling toll-free phone numbers to
>specify our order and give out our credit card numbers, then we'd download
>from the Internet, say, some new version of Martinu's 14-minute Concerto
>Grosso, and nothing more (...) So, in the interests of portability, I
>suppose I'd then imprint the downloaded information onto the disc I'd set
>aside for my latest Martinu selection ...and hey, presto!...my new CD would
>be ready, complete with my choice couplings...

This certainly will be the dead of the activity of collecting CM records.
Then everybody will be collecting data, instead of recordings.

Wilson Pereira.