From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:10:27 PST
Roger Hecht wrote:

>I won't repeat my anti-Ozawa diatribe here, but as far as I know, the
>dissatisfaction with Ozawa has been the case to one extent or another
>for many years.

I left Boston about the time Roger arrived.  I had been subscribing to
the BSO concerts since 1961-2.  I felt Ozawa had some very good concerts
as a guest conductor, but very quickly became unimpressed after he was
appointed Music Director.  The orchestra was very facile, but there just
didn't seem much depth to the music.  Once critic at the time criticized
a Brahms Symphony he took on tour.  The comment was that at the end of the
tour the Brahms was getting to be pretty good.  Seems to me to be a lot of
practice required for a conductor of a leading orchestra.

The concerts I remember most were led by Colin Davis or Claudio Abbado.
There was some music there.

Regards,

Tom Connor