From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:04:59 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>As an example, the Philadelphia Orchestra apparently will devote
>all or most of their next concert season to 20th century works.  Does this
>programming fit into the orchestra's vision? They likely have no vision,
>and without one, there is no consistent direction.  The programming
>decision bears no relationship to last year or to future years; it's
>simply a knee-jerk reaction to the end of the century.

Well, it's more than that: it also happens to be the centennial year of
the orchestra itself, and the idea is really to celebrate both 100-year
periods.  But I certainly take your point -- an orchestra should have a
long-term vision.  The problem is that the Phila.  Orchestra is caught up,
as all its confreres are, in the gales of change sweeping the CM world,
some of which were adumbrated in last Sunday's New York Times articles
(thank you, Dave, for reprinting the very interesting one on the recording
biz).  In this situation, it is a bit difficult, I would think, to keep
one's footing, much less develop a coherent long-term plan.  (Also, this
orchestra is in the midst of looking for a new director as well as
concert-master/mistress, so this also figures into the long-range outlook.)

>Continuing to use Philadelphia as an example, they are reported to start
>recording performances on their very own label.  Is this their long-range
>plan? - lose a contract with a major record company and replace it with a
>small-time home-grown label.  Where's the planning? What's the long-term
>vision?

As can be seen with reference to the aforementioned Dave-delivered
Times article, the recording biz is also in an uproar.  Trying to have a
long-range plan about recording in the classical field at this point is
like having a long-range plan for shooting a rapids.  You just have to rely
on whatever skill and instincts you have accumulated up to now and hope for
the best.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]