From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:46:00 +1000
Don Satz wrote of Hummel's music:

>...  There's nothing profound, significantly innovative, or thought
>provoking.  What Hummel can provide is great pleasure, great melodies, and
>a musical link between Mozart and Beethoven.  Accept Hummel for who he is,
>and the level of appreciation can increase greatly.

Coincidentally, my recent listening has included a different version of the
violin and piano concerto, which fits Don's assessment, and the wonderful
septet which smiles from start to finish.  I've been a fan of Hummel for
many a year and regret that he didn't write any symphonies because I
suspect they might have been similar to Krommer's.  In the meantime, I've
enjoyed the Hummel piano sonatas on Naxos, with more to come, and have his
piano trios in mind to explore.

I part company with Don in thinking of Hummel as a link between Mozart
and Beethoven - I think of him as more akin to Weber, but it's no big deal.
Anyway, the ARG reviewer Don mentioned, whoever he is, can put his head in
a bucket.  This is a much milder form of a common Australian wish for those
who incur one's displeasure and concerns chickens and emus, but to avoid
incurring Dave's, I'll restrain myself.

Richard Pennycuick