From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 02:07:47 -0400
Steve Schwartz wrote some time ago:

>The hell of it is that at least one US Senator has fulminated against
>PBS as "elitist." So the Tesh and the Yanni are now the property of
>the "elite." I just finished reading a review of symphonies by Fibich
>(contemporary with Janacek, but died around 1900), written by Wilfrid
>Mellers on www.mvdaily.com.  Folks, we don't even show up on the radar.

Why make this political? For years a private group called "Friends of
the Arts" sponsored classical programs all summer long at one of the
great North Shore estates, culminating in a three day Beethoven festival.
The final night was always gala, with a recognized international orchestra
playing an all-Beethoven program.  A decade ago, if you didn't make
reservations long in advance, you didn't get into that concert at least.
Over the course of the years, attendance has dwindled.  As the true
classical music lovers moved to the Sunbelt or died, each year, some
classical program has been replaced by either jazz or a chanteuse and
a champagne supper.  Although the organization is called "friends of
the Arts.," the only vestige of real art left is the Beethoven.  And the
performers have gone from easily-recognized players to young performers.
That in itself is not bad because some of them are very good.  But it shows
the budgetary pinch of mounting even one weekend of outdoor classical music
in one of the wealthiest, most educated metro areas in the country-probably
even more than next door New York City.

Forget the senator, our president doesn't show the slightest interest in
any of the arts.  On second thought, the arts are in enough trouble so
maybe that is a blessing.

Andrew E. Carlan