From:
Derek Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 08:32:41 +0800
Lionel Choi wrote:

>But I just want to say that if Zubin Mehta actually gets it, then we shall
>all hold our breaths and watch the great Berlin Philharmonic, which has
>been made all the richer by legacies left behind by Nikisch, Richard
>Strauss, Furtwangler and Karajan, sink like a magnificent doomed ship.

I must say that Mehta has done some very fine conducting before (try the
Beethoven 5th pc with Brendel, and some of his Mahler), as has Maazel.
Maazel apparently considered himself worthy for the Berlin place, and was
deeply disappointed when Abbado got it.  I don't think Rattle really wants
the position.  They'll probably ask Haitink as well.

Derek