From:
Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 13:40:14 -0700
Chris Bonds writes:

>In general I find Mozart's tunes more memorable than Haydn's, which I
>find more interesting from the standpoint of their humor and potential
>for motivic development.  Some of my favorite Mozart tunes include from
>Don Giovanni: La ci darem, Batti batti, Deh vieni alla finestra. ...
>
>Verdi's Chorus of the Hebrew slaves from Nabucco, all have a sort of
>universal quality and can stir the blood when appropriate.

Ah!  I wondered when someone would mention opera, surely a leading
repository of great tunes.  Bellini scores in this department, I think:
those long-drawn-out skeins of melody, such as "Casta Diva".  They may
seem obvious, but they certainly stick in the memory.  Verdi's chorus
from Nabucco also qualifies as a patriotic song, of course.

Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
California, USA