From:
Don Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:53:58 -0800
The comment of the Senator from Nebraska was worse than that.  It occurred
in reference to the nomination of a Judge Carswell to the Supreme court by
then President Nixon.  Carswell was well below mediocre in his judicial
abilities and the Senator offered that mediocrity should be represented on
the Supreme Court of the U.S.  I found this surrealistically detached from
reality then and still do.

I think we may tolerate mediocrity but should never celebrate it,
especially in art.

Don