From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:53:41 -0500
Ian Foster wrote:

>I hold the Vaughan Williams Tuba Concerto in great affection.  I have the
>patrick Harrild version on Chandos (with the London Symphony orchestra
>under Bryden Thompson).  Do list members know of any other recommendable
>versions?

Two off the top of my head, neither of which I've heard for a while.  John
Fletcher with Previn on RCA.  Fletcher may have been the dedicatee, I'm not
sure.  He is definitely lamented, having died at an obscenely young age
while tubist of the LSO.  There was also one with the great Arnold Jacobs
and the Chicago Symphony, with, I think, Giulini.

An aside.  My not so fond memory of the concerto is its appearing as the
required solo piece on a few bass trombone auditions.  Notoriously slow of
tongue, I found that piece very hard on the trombone.

Roger Hecht