From:
Billy Kitson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:47:45 +1000
John Detwiler wrote:

>The other day, I was listening to a really interesting symphony by
>a Romantic composer by the name of Bristow.  I really enjoyed it, and
>I wonder why he (or at least the symphony) isn't more well-known.  I've
>reached a point in my "musical enlightenment" where I can enjoy (or at
>least tolerate) any music, and I've heard a lot of good music by
>"second-rate" composers.  In fact, I think there's much less difference
>between the famous composers and the insignificant than is usually thought.
>Perhaps the main difference is consistency, I don't know.  It just seems
>like a lot of the hierarchy was arbitrarily decided.

Bill(Y) again - have a feeling Bristow is a "Limey", what Aussies Call
"A ....... Pom"?? [George Frederick Bristow (1825 - 1898) was an American
composer.  -Dave] Names are "Important" in CM in the "daft" way that
"People" drop Names in the Business and Commerce "worlds" = to me if Yer
are a Famous "Rat bag" = Yer are still a "Rat bag" FIRST!!   Aye, well used
Aussie "slang" fer yer!!  I do like the Nietchze Quote!!

Bill(Y)@BAROQUE.AUNZ.NET.