From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 17:14:44 -0500
I wrote that I listen to music throughout my day while I do various chores.

John Dalmas misunderstood me when he wrote:

>Sounds like my wife.  She can also listen to classical music while talking
>on the telephone.  One night last week she listened to most of Mahler's
>Ninth (Levine) while talking on the phone ...
>
>My wife can also listen to two compositions at the same time.
>Well, both you guys have it all over me, or maybe I just don't get it.

Notice, please that EVERY activity *I* mentioned before (except the score
reading) involved the music, and some sort of busywork for my hands.  I
cannot listen to two things at once unless we are talking about polyphonic
music in a single composition.  I cannot have a conversation and listen to
music at the same time and do justice to both activities: for me it must
be either one or the other.  I can't READ while listening to music, either.

Of course, some classical music was meant to be table music or background
music.  It makes a very pleasant atmosphere.  Other music requires my full
attention.  If I am in a bookstore and they play a Mozart viola quintet
(for example), I just can't continue to shop. I must stand next to the
nearest speaker and hear the entire piece.

My original message was written in response to another poster who advocated
saving music for special occasions.  I disagree.  I listen to music as much
as possible and it MAKES my life a special occasion.

Mimi Ezust