From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 14:51:17 PST
If I remember correctly, this thread started out with a focus on what items
constitute the "standard repertoire." To me, just opening a Schwann Opus
publication provides those answers.

the thread has moved on to the question of "enough time" to devote to the
standard, non-standard, and the new.  I find this theme somewhat amusing.
Why worry about it? The important thing is to have the works and recordings
"at hand" that you want.  Everything will fall into place.  I don't have
any particular storage strategy.  When I want music, I open up a drawer and
select a few discs out of 70 or so.  When I'm done listening, I just repeat
the process.  With this helter-skelter approach, I end up listening to a
wide variety of standard, non-standard, and new works.  Just don't ask me
to compare all the versions I have of a particular work; it would take
hours to find them all.

Bernard commented that music can be too accessible; I think I see his
point but can't agree.  The best things in life, be they free or costly,
can't be overly accessible:  music, love-making, tenderness, great movies,
championship athletic events, family, pets, and amateur boxing fall into
this category for me.  I would say that being with "people" can be too
accessible - that must not be one of my best things in life.  People can
sure be a pain in the neck.  Take the people I work with----please.

Don Satz