From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 23:41:19 -0500
Irene Scopelliti asked:

>Does anyone think a quartet can play better those pieces (Beethoven
>complete, Schubert last four)?

It is difficult to choose one ensemble over all others with this music,
but one would be hard put to deny you the Quartetto Italiano as first
choice for all of the Beethoven, and for Nos.  12 and 14 of the Schubert.
Some alternative ensembles will excel in one or more of the quartets and
then disappoint in others.  Some ensembles may please at first and then
cease to wear well.  Still others ought to be avoided except perhaps as
cautionary performances to enlighten you how the quartets should not be
played.

I seldom listen anymore by choice to any but the later Beethoven quartets,
because there is only so much time to listen to music, and so much music to
listen to (particularly new music).  Recordings of the late quartets I have
kept include the Italiano, the Berg, the Yale, the Fitzwilliam and some of
the older Budapest.  I suggest sticking with the Italiano, and then after
one or more of the quartets begins to grow on you, try another ensemble to
get a fresh perspective and further insight.

John Dalmas