From:
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 21:19:06 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>I know that Steve feels that the audience should exercise its mind and
>would want to do so; that's noble thinking.  But, I tend to think that most
>people want music for entertainment purposes - working on a composition is
>one of the last things they would engage in.  I don't think this situation
>will change.

And most people are not CM fans. No wonder.

Actually, though, I don't see repeated listening to a work, and getting
more out of it as time goes on, "work." It's more like learning more about
one's marriage partner as the years go by.  Of course, that can be "work,"
too, but it can lead to deeper love.

And the best thing about music, of course, as opposed to marriage, is that
if you decide that you have made a poor choice for a life's companion, you
can toss it in the trash without any qualms.

Jon Johanning // [log in to unmask]