From:
Bernard Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 05:10:07 -0500
I saw a performance of Messiah in Bradford in the 1970s where one of the
brass was reading on the platform.  The trumpeter missed coming on after
the interval and so hurried on just before "the trumpet shall sound".

David Willcocks (conducting) was furious, I had a friend who was backstage
afterwards and heard his tirade.

On a happier note, I attended a ballet performance of the Three Cornered
Hat a couple of years ago.  At the Festival theatre in Edinburght the "pit"
extends under the stage so is quite confined in there.  2 piccolos have a
shrill duet, and the flautist was sitting between them.  Ready for the
duet, she put her flute down and gently put a finger in each ear.

I don't think my wife received my giggles well <g>.

Bernard Hill
Braeburn Software
Scotland