From:
Alexandros Rigas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:06:55 -0500
John Halbrooks wrote:

>I don't want to set off a fire-storm here, but I have an honest question.
>There seems to be a generally negative feeling about Ozawa on this list.
>
>Are his interpretations pedestrian?  Is the BSO's execution not up to snuff
>under his baton?

I saw here in Athens, Greece Osawa three times:

a) With the BSO, in the summer of 1991 (if I remember well) conducting La
Symphonie Fantastique and Bernstein's 2nd Symphony and as a bis Dimitri
Mitropoulos' "Tafi".  It was a magnificient concert, one of the best I have
ever seen!

b) With the Saito Kinen conducting Mozart (not good at all) and Appolo
Musagete (just good),

c) With the BSO in spring 1998 conducting Mahler 6th.  The performance was
rather dissapointing (very cold and indifferent) and, since then, I changed
my mind about waiting from 5 a.m.  to buy a ticket (that's why I did not
get one for Abbado/BPO Mahler 3rd just a month later)!

I think that in Boston it is the right time for changes...

Wishes,

Alexandros