From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:59:17 -0800
While we're all talking about categorizing CM listeners lately, I would
have to classify myself as one who has swallowed all of the core repetoire,
and, finding that most modern CM does nothing for me at this time, I look
for those forgotten or neglected masterpieces of Romanticism,
post-Romanticism, or the *accessible* moderns.

With a few exceptions, here's my take on this repetoire:

1) Great orchestration; lousy musical argument. (Taverner, Part, maybe
   Rautavaara)
2) Some great musical argument, but it's not worked out satisfactorly.
   (Braunfels, Suk, or Bantock)
3) Great musical argument, orchestration; no sincerity. (Korngold,
4) Promising music, but no one major will touch it, except for the Northern
   Arctic Sinfonia.

Here are some thoughts on my recent purchases, compliments of Tower
employees who mark these new releases at $17.95, and then trot over to
the used CD stores with their demos, which I buy for $7.95.

Rautavaara--Cantus Articus on Naxos:  I was very excited about this new
release esp.  with the Scottish National Orchestra.  Problem is the tape
of the bird sounds has a lot of hiss, and while the strings play and are
captured beautifully, the bell-sounds in the third mov't are not.  The
Ondine recording is better even with the horn crack and horrible clipped
phrases towards the end of the third mov't.

Takemitsu--Quotations of a Dream on DG:  a product of record execs trying
to pollute our tastes with music from one of those *other* countries.
Undeniably beautiful music, described in the liner notes as "gentle
breezes against the face." Is the music Part or Taverner in disguise?
No.  Unapologetically high-minded, but infused with stunningly rarefied
orchestral color that is transporting in a wonderous way.  (Listen to
"Twill by Twilight") I wouldn't recommend listening to the selections back
to back though--one can only take so many gentle breezes.

Novak--Slovak Suite on Virgin:  Good orchestration, humble yet well
worked out musical argument and sincerety bordering on sweetness.  Novak
fits somewhere between Tchaikovsky and Dvorak, but holds his own and doesn't
disappoint.  If you like instrumental solos floating melodies over
sustained strings and harp, and music that *is* as evocative as the titles
suggest, (Eternal longing, In the Tatra Mountains, The Lovers, The Night),
this CD is for you.

Busoni--Piano Concerto on Telarc: I'm trying with this one....I think a
laser disc version might enhance the finale if you know what I mean.

John Bernard Smyth