From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:04:16 PST
I had previously commented favorably on Vainberg solo piano works and
string quartets on the Olympia label.  I recently picked up volume 15
of the Olympia/Vainberg series which is devoted to chamber symphonies.

This is a stunning disc, better than the others I have.  Vainberg has some
musical traits similar to Shostakovich:  sarcasm, dark and brooding sounds,
and a mix of tuneful and dissonant passages.  I can't say at this point
that I find Vainberg highly distinctive from Shostakovich; more listening
might yield that conclusion.  Yet, even if distinctions are slight, there's
nothing wrong with additional Shostakovich-like works of high quality.

Recorded sound on the chamber symhony disc is generally excellent, although
there is a little congestion in the louder orchestral passages.  The cover
art on all the discs in the series has been distinctive, so you can easily
differentiate one disc from another unlike the Bach cantata series from
Suzuki and Koopman.  With those series, you're in trouble if you don't
exactly remember the volume number you want.

My opinion of Olympia has increased some due to the Vainberg series.
Are there any other excellent and relatively obscure composers which this
label has recorded in the past few years?

Speaking of obscure, I also recently bought a Marco Polo disc of Poot
symphonic works and a CPO disc of Toch symphonies.  So far, I don't find
much merit in either composer.  Could list members confirm my impressions
or comment on what they like about either composer?

Don Satz