From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 14:03:26 PST
I've been reading with interest the debate between Jon Johanning and
Karl Miller concerning the extent of "changes in the air" in the world
of classical music.  Jon indicated that changes were pervasive.  Karl
said that the only significant changes were in marketing.  Jon replied
that marketing is so encompassing that it is pervasive by itself.

I consider both list members to be correct.  Beyond that, I see a potential
battle looming between the "insiders" and the "inbetweeners." The insiders
are the folks receiving music and those providing it(composers, artists,
musicians).  The inbetweeners are the record companies and their marketing
staffs.

A little example in the medical field will help me make my point.  For a
few years in the US, women were allowed insurance coverage for just one
night in the hospital after delivery a baby.  This decision was not made by
doctors or patients; it was made by insurance companies.  The policy was
purely "profit" motivated, and the folks actually involved in delivering
babies(doctor and mom) had no say or control in the matter.

Now, in the world of classical music, we are faced with a similar
situation.  As we enter the 21st century, will the insiders determine the
direction classical music takes or will the inbetweeners be in control? If
the insiders do not take control, the direction will undoubtedly be toward
crossover, fusion, and eclecticism.  Perhaps the insiders would take this
direction also.  However, I think it will make a great deal of difference
which group emerges with the power.

All of us on this list are music receivers; some are providers as well.
At a minimum, we do control what we buy.  As I stated in an earlier
posting, we can use our buying power to send whatever messages to the
record industry we like.  If we purchase the music that the companies
are directing us toward, we will reap the results desired by the companies.
I am confident that the insiders have the necessary power to control
classical music.  The question remains whether the insiders will truely
exercise their power or merely grumble now and then and accept what they're
fed.

Don