From:
Lewis Liu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:05:15 +0800
To be a classical music lover, I want to share some feeling on why I
tends to buy historical recordings rather than new (modern) recordings.

   * New issues generally are more expansive than reissues since most of
     them are mid or budgeted price. Recently, some new issues such as
     those made by Decca are sold in mid-price.

   * I like reading books and magazines on classical music. In most
     case, they would make comparision with some historial recordings in
     30s to 70s - the era of great conductors and performers. I agree
     the authors have great influence on my listening habbit - I always
     look for great musicans, conductors in the past in stead of the new
     comers. (The new releases by Celi is special case, I believe.)

   * My believe is that if I can get the recording that was recognized
     as the best or one of the best, why I border to listen to others
     that are NOT BETTER than those reference recordings.

   * Nowadays musicans do not have enough personality as compared with
     those in 40s to 70s.

   * Techniques of musicans in the past were much higher than those of
     today's musicans - in general speaking, not correct all the time.

   * I can listen to the young musicans and conductors in the future
     when they are more matured but the performance of those maestros in
     the past will not changed anymore.

   * I will have chance to listen to those young musicans and conductors
     in the concert hall while I can listen to those maestros'
     performance on CDs only.

In my CDs collection, over 95% are reissues and about 60 to 70% are
recordings in 40s to 70s.

Let's me share my feeling with you all. Thanks!

Lewis