From:
Sam Pawlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 18:18:17 -0800
Philip Peters wrote:

>...  Another name I never see mentioned here and which is decidedly very
>much in the *classical* realm is Henze.  Anybody as enthusiastic as I am?

I love Henze especially the recording of him conducting his own
symphonies with the BPO on DG.  Henze was a lefty too.  Its interesting
how many people (like me) came to classical music through jazz.  I've only
been into classical music for a few years (I'm 26) but my appreciation and
playing of jazz has been enhanced by my love for classical music.  Most
jazzers are classically trained these days and some of their music is
heavily influenced by cm.Examples would be Jarrett (of course), Brad
Mehldau, Roland Hanna, Stephane Grappelli, Bill Evans, W.Marsalis, Cecil
Taylor, Irene Schweitzer, Marilyn Crispell and Richard Davis amongst many
others.  Richard Davis was a student of Stravinsky and was S's favorite
double bassist.  Composers favored by jazzers are usually Debussy, Bartok,
Hindemith, Stockhausen, Mahler, Scriabin and Stravinsky.  The high
modernists.  Jazz musicians starting with Charlie Parker began introducing
harmonic devices into their music that they had heard in classical music.
Jazz pianist Uri Caine has released his project of piano transcriptions and
improvisations over some of Mahler's symphonic music.  Interesting stuff.

Sam Pawlett