From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:45:02 -0600
Bert Bailey:

>Hindemith: Mass for Mixed Choir a capella (26 mins); and 5-part Madrigals
>after Texts by J.  Weinberger (35 mins).  Der Junge Chor Aachen, under
>Fritz ter Wey (cpo 999 345-2)
>
>Anyone familiar with this music/recording care to englighten me with a
>comment or two?  Basically: Is it recommended?

I'm not familiar with that particular recording, but I know the music well.
They are late Hindemith (the Mass was his last complete composition) and
they are tough as hell to perform well.  The idiom bears only a slight
resemblance to Hindemith's two hits - the Mathis der Maler Symphony and the
Symphonic Metamorphoses on Weber.  It's much thornier.  I reviewed another
performance (Danish Radio Choir led by Gronostay on Chandos 9413), and you
can find it under ClassicalNet's Reviews and Articles at
http://www.classical.net

Steve Schwartz