From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:24:29 +0000
Wilson Pereira wrote:

>I have Stravinsky's recording with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra on
>SONY, but do any listers have a recommendation for a good and modern (not
>necessarily DDD) recording?

There are many good Sacres around.  But one which is not frequently
suggested is one which gives a new perspective on the work: Boston
Philharmonic conducted by Benjamin Zander (Masters MCD 25).  Zander bases
his tempi on those authorised by Stravinsky himself for the piano roll
recordings (also included), and these are in some cases - particularly
in the Danse Sacrale - considerably faster than normal.  I find this a
compelling Sacre - perhaps not my first choice, but one which, I feel,
I would not wish to live without.

Jonathan