From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:46:19 PST
Ong Yong Hui wrote:

>Would anyone like to recommend recordings for the early quartets for
>a change?

Before I gear up for recommendations, I'd like to provide my view, which is
likely a common one, that there's a world of difference between the early
and late quartets which needs to be understood by any performers to do well
in both.  So often, I find that a particular total set does a great job at
one end but something else at the other.

For the Opus 18 quartets, I have three recommendations.  The one modern
instrument pick is the Medici on Nimbus.  I feel that the Medici interpret
these works as the youthful masterpieces they actually are; the fast
movements are particularly invigorating.  The two period instrument
versions are the Turner on Harmonia Mundi and Smithson on DHM.  The
Smithson are more restrained in their emotional levels, so I'd give the
Turner a slight edge.

Being early Beethoven, my usual preference would be for the period
instrument approach.  But, in this case, my overall pick is the Medici.
That's an indication of how excellently they perform these works.  However,
I could not recommend the rest of their cycle; beyond the early quartets,
I think this group loses its way.

Don Satz