From:
Mark Shanks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 08:24:21 -0700
Marcus Maroney writes:

>As for Lebrecht, his writing troubles me sometimes too, but his
>'Companion to 20th Century Music' is extremely comprehensive,

You have GOT to be kidding. He leaves OUT more important composers
than he includes.

>and 'The Maestro Myth', while not entirely accurate, was informative and
>a good read.

"Not entirely accurrate" is a polite way of phrasing what a disreputable
slab of congealing sewer-grease that book is.  I've read better material
while standing in the checkout line at the grocery store.

>So my question is--are the any reviewers writing in high-profile
>publications that people follow regularly? I read every Griffiths
>article/book I can.  Or do people just ignore the critics altogether.
>That would be unfortunate.

I've always had respect for David Hall.  I will admit my taste for Paul
Rapoport is more idiosyncratic.  But at least I've never heard him host
an hour-long hate marathon, as Mr. Svedja has done.

Mark