Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 03:10:40 GMT
From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Raphael Lam <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I want to find the 'best' version of piano sonata and symphonies by
>Beethoven on CDs.  Any recommendations? Who is the top player / conductor
>in sonata and symphonies? Moreover, I don't know if it is better to buy a
>whole set or different pianists in separate CDs.  e.g.  Pollini on latest
>pieces.  Please rank with priorities for them!  Thanks.

These kinds of posts are always liable to scoff or avoidance, because the
request has no certain answer.  Surely, Kempff is among the best pianists
for Beethoven's piano sonatas, and Karajan among the best conductor (1962
recordings!) of the symphonies.  If I had to reduce my "holdings" to just
one of each, it would be these.  Let me add, however, Harnoncourt and
Gardiner are excellent alternatives for the symphonies, and Kovacevich
a good modern alternative to Kempff.  And this is just the "beginning"
of the choices.

D. Stephen Heersink
San Francisco