Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:15:29 -0600
From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
John Dalmas

>The post was designed not to set up a Gotcha!  Game but to elicit some
>prediction about the state of Classical Music and what we call "standard
>repertory" a hundred years down the line.

There is no way rationally to predict, but as long as it is understood
that none of us knows or will ever know which works composed in 1999 will
be admired in 2099, and as long as I can indulge in a bit of Darwinian
overproduction on which natural selection can work (meaning I am going
to list three times the number of stipulated composers, a number that is
extremely low by Darwinian standards) here are a few composers that appear
to be alive and well and any of whom might well write something truly
striking this year:

John Adams
Thomas Ades
Sofia Gubaidulina