From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:34:12 PST
I agree with Carol B that flat nipples are rarely a problem. In fact, I
must say in my years of looking at LOTS of BREASTS, fewer nipples are
pokey outey than are flat. That is to say, most are flattish. If babies
went to breast immed. and bedded in, and if there were no artificial
teats, I don't really think there would be much of a concern with this.
This is not to say that some babies don't latch, some breast tissue is
very firm and inelastic, some nipples are very large, etc. But this is
the exception and not the cause of most nsg problems. IMHO>
Laurie

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Louisiana Breastfeeding MediaWatch Campaign
Violet Louisiana, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]