From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:41:51 -0500
Hi. Please re read, check...etc ...let me know and I will send.

I wonder about this, though. I know that there will be fine lines, and
people arguing about this....and times when we are not sure what to do.

Hello everyone.

The size of this list [over 2300] is such that many new(er) people simply
subscribe, receive the WELCOME TO LACTNET message, but
do not read it, and thus end up creating a great deal of unnecessary and
frustrating work for the co-mothers.  If anyone needs a copy of the welcome
message, you can get one by doing a

Get Lactnet welcome

to [log in to unmask]

In addition, In addition, other subscribers, owing to frustration, are now
complaining about their on-line colleagues.  This generates a great deal of
work for the co-mothers, who really do try to keep this list running
smoothly  with a minimum of fuss and bother.

Since it is clear that an increasing minority of LACTNETters are either
intentionally or unintentionally  resorting to advertising,  and possibly
misunderstanding our reasons behind the proscription against such sharing,
we have changed the rules about this to simplify our definition and make
CRYSTAL CLEAR (we hope) that we do not want advertising  on LACTNET.

In addition, we are ON OUR KNEES.  If you know someone who has recently
subscribed, ask them if they have READ the Welcome Message BEFORE they send
in their first post. It will save them and US a lot of time.

 Things like searching the archives *before* posting, and turning OFF html
before
posting, are important.  If you want to search archives of LACTNET, go to
http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html.

Searching archives  *before* you post guarantees that you are up to speed on
what has been said on your subject, and saves the rest of the list from a
lot of unnecessary repetition.

Most egregious violators include (but are not limited to, alas):
a) posters who do NOT turn their HTML Coding Button OFF [we insist on this
to save money for the many LACTNUTS who must pay their server connection BY
THE LINE];

b) posters who copy an entire DIGEST or a very long post prior to
responding to same [see above reason for limiting repeats to just a phrase
or sentence];

c) posters who include ANYTHING in their signature (sig) line other than
the following:
        (1) Their real name
        (2) Their city, state/province, country (so people know where you live)
        (3) Their email address (for ease of reply to those who wish to do so)
        (4) Their ** institutional affiliation** (for identification of same),
such as Ross Labs, Kaiser, any college or university, clinic, practice name

With regard to (3) above, we NOW consider advertising ANY mention in a sig
line of a conference coming up, a book, pamphlet, poem, video, screenplay,
etc. that you have published or will soon publish, new pump you have
created, new pillow you now sell, new drug or herbal medication you now
distribute, etc.

 In other words,  affiliations only have to be mentioned if they cause you an
obvious bias, ..such as an affiliation with a formula company or other such
endeavor.

There can be NO ADVERTISING is allowed on LACTNET, please, although we
appreciate the fact that the work that is done by Lactnetters is valuable
and important, ie in form of books, videos, etc.

If you maintain a website where such information can be had, you MAY list
your website URL in your sig line.  But THAT IS ALL.  Do not include "for
information about bla bla bla see URL... blah blah blah".  THAT
IS ADVERTISING.

Failure to follow this NEW definition of advertising  will  result in an
official warning instead of a friendly "please do not..." message.  We have
hesitated to get really strict about this, but the number of violations of
our previous explanations is such that we have no choice in order to keep
LACTNET for what it was designed: the sharing of information and clinical
cases by professionals for their peers.

As always,  ***these rules will be applied with an even hand.***

If you wish to advertise, please use the many different venues already
available on-line for this purpose.  They include LACTNEWS ON LINE (our own
Barbara Wilson-Clay) as well as the non-specific venues like YAHOO and
others.  LACTNET is for other things.

We thank you. If you have any questions, please write to :
the Lactnet co owners at [log in to unmask]

Thank you so much for your understanding. If you wish to run things by us
first, please do so.  We are glad to help.

Kind regards,

Kathleen (s)

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont, where the icy winds are blowing hard...
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html