From:
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:21:19 -0500
Don Satz included among his "ideal" recordings:

>Bach - Art of the Fugue, Nikolayeva, Hyperion.  This is masterful playing
>which nearly puts me in a trance.
>
>Bach - Well-Tempered Clavier, Gould, Sony.  It may be perverse, but that
>doesn't bother me.  Gould is winningly unique, and the recorded sound
>fits him perfectly.

Of all the Arts of Fugue I have heard, they are the last pieces I would
give to my "barbarian" grown children to prove to them that their father
was right all along.  The first "grown-up" present I gave them when each
went off on their own at nine and a half was Gould's Well-Tempered Clavier.
They still play it all the time thinking it was written around the time
"Death Rattle and the Bubonic Plague" were eating up the record charts.

Why the difference?

A.K.A. Larry Flynt seeking an honest man, otherwise known as
Andrew E. Carlan