From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 13:13:44 PST
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>I appreciate Don's wit, but I think he go it wrong here.  Stokie never
>claimed that any of his Bach was authentic and his arrangements were
>just that, arrangements.

No, I didn't get it wrong.  I never thought that Stokie considered his
Bach authentic.  My posting was mainly my attempt at humor which generally
begins with something "real and "truthful", then exaggerates the hell out
of it through various associations.

Kevin did get a little serious, so I will also.  I have a rather strong
dislike of baroque music on modern instruments.  Stokie's arrangements
sound terrible to me; the fact that he knew his arrangements were not
authentic does not alleviate my response to the music.

I do, logically, take into account the time period and prevailing moods
about baroque music back then.  However, horrible music is just that,
regardless of the logic behind it.

Don Satz