From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:49:47 PST
I was at a friend's house over the weekend, and he put on a Hanssler disc
of Marriner conducting Schumann's symphonies 2 and 4.  I was internally
groaning at the prospect of listening to a Marriner performance.  However,
immediately from the beginning of the 2nd symphony, I was amazed at the
precision, excitement, and brooding quality that Marriner provided.  Also,
the recording was particularly vivid and thrilling.  With each movement
of this symphony, my opinion of Marriner was improving.

I did not have the time to listen to the 4th symphony.  Even so, I'm going
to buy this disc - the 2nd symphony is that good.  One warning comment -
the climaxes could blow you away.

Don Satz