From:
Kathie Faricy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:48:57 -0600
Ed Zubrow wrote:

>It is wonderful to see Kathie Faricy turn up on MCML. From another list
>I've known her to be a knowledgeable and interesting writer--and most
>accomodating in answering questions.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Ed! It is good to be back here,
impressed as usual by people's knowledge and collections of CD's! (-:

>Some months back I prompted some discussion about Bartok's use of the
>Fibonacci series after I heard it described in a lecture (by a high school
>senior!) as exemplifying Bartok's compositional interest in the natural
>world. (As distinguished from composers like Messian whose interest is
>demonstrated by "imitating" sounds.) Now I find it fascinating to learn
>from others on the list that formal construction can also be analagous to
>architecture.

Someone asked if there were other composers using the Golden Mean and
Fibonacci series; I understand that these proportions, which exist in
nature, also are to be found in the music of Bach, Mozart etc.  I would
think that this was not intentional on the part of these composers.  But
the composer I was *most* surprised to discover using these proportions
obviously intentionally was Debussy!  There is a book called "Debussy in
Proportion: A Musical Analysis" by Roy Howat (Cambridge 1983) that
discusses this in great detail.  It really is amazing!

Regards,
Kathie