From:
Paul Cornaby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:30:52 -0800
I went to Tower Records in Seattle yesterday afternoon, and it seems that
every time I go in, things appear to be little more bleak in the classical
section than the previous time I had been in.  After a long, frustrating
search, I found a couple of CD's that were acceptable and I did find one
about which I had read the previous evening, but I left with minimal
satisfaction.  Their business in the front section appeared to be very
good, and I'm sure that they were stocking all of the latest pop stuff, so
perhaps what has been said many times on this net is true.  It may be that
there are not enough of us to make a good classical section profitable for
recording dealers.  At the check-out counter, I found myself at the end of
a line.  As far as I could see, I was the only one who had shopped in the
classical section.  On the other hand, it may just be Seattle, which Sir
Thomas Beecham referred to as "a cultural dustbin." Well, I don't really
believe that since the complaints appear to be more universal.  Perhaps
we expect too much.

Paul