From:
Jonathan Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 21:38:28 +0000
Richard Todd wrote:

>Puccini in Turandot, of course, though its debatable how "Chinese" a
>product he ended up with.  Not very, in my view.

 From the programme note to a concert last week given by the Brabants
Orchestra conducted by Gunther Schuller.

Overture Oedipus Tyrannus - John Knowles Paine

   "As far as the music was concerned, Paine did not attempt to imitate
   Greek music.  This would have been pointless anyway, since this sort
   of music is virtually unknown.  And so the composer wrote the music
   in the classical-romantic style."

But I suppose it was still Greek to him.

Jonathan