HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andrew Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 20:43:30 +1000
Mike Jacobs wrote:

> A novel, I believe, adaptation of the Harris Matrix was made by Rick Ahlstrom
> (1992).The challenge was to attempt to date the undated photographs to enhance
> their value as visual depictions of architectural change.  What Rick did was t
> treat each photograph as a unique "stratum" in a Harris Matrix.

Martin Davies, while working as part of the Port Arthur Conservation Project in
Tasmania also adapted the matrix to include other than archaeological strata. Hi
scheme allowed for the inclusion of archaeological (excavated), structural
(standing building remains), and historical (written, graphic, pictorial) strata
in the matrix, each identified by a different symbol. The symbols can overlap so
that one stratum can be represented by all three type of evidence. This approach
is particularly useful at the phase matrix stage.

For a full explanation see:

Martin Davies
1987       'The archaeology of standing structures'
                in Journal of Australian Historical Archaeology.  Volume 5
pp.54-64

Andrew Wilson
Archaeology A14
University of Sydney 2006