From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 05:30:59 PST
Tower Records on Route 17 in Paramus, NJ, that is.  This is how I always
thought of it, in the first innocent days of my obsession.  The Promised
Land.  After scouring all of the stores near where I live in central NJ
and not being happy, the sight of that yellow and red sign looked like
the Emerald City to me.  Of course, my innocence quickly wore off, hastened
by Tower's overpricing.  However, as much as I enjoy the anticipation
of receiving a shipment in the mail from BMG or MHS, there is, for me,
something to be said for immediate gratification, when I can read about a
good recording from the magazines or this List and can buy it the next day.
Also, I've gotten to know some of the sales guys, who are both knowledgable
and interesting to BS with.

Anyhow, I was in Tower last Saturday, happily blowing some money my
wonderful wife gave me for my birthday (which happens to be today, same day
as Boris Yeltsin (oh well), I learned that the Classical Annex, after some
waffling (SP?) by the management (imagine that!) is to be scaled back 40%
to make room for videos.  It appears that the manager in charge of CD's is
young (for me, that is.  She's in her early 30's) and has little awareness
of, and not to mention appreciation, for the music.  I guess it's the same
old story that the music doesn't "move."

Putting it plainly, I'm kind of bummed.  I look forward to the 40 mile trip
on Saturday mornings, alone with WNYC or a tape on.  Oh, well.  I guess
it's the clubs and Borders.

Ron

 [Let's see.  In a time of increased competition, you raise your prices
 and reduce your service.  Business falls off and you have to close or
 scale back your offerings.  Who would have thought?  The excellent
 Tower Classical Annex in Berkeley closed this last fall.  The classical
 department has now moved into the upstairs of the "regular" Tower store
 down the street.  I used to periodically make the hour drive down to
 Berkeley to visit that annex (as well as the incredible Ameoba and
 Rasputin's nearby), but now the appeal of going Berkeley just for Tower
 has nearly disappeared.  Excellent business model they have going there.
 -Dave]