From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:04:57 PST
Based on postings and messages I have read, I need to clarify what I stated
as "excess" collections by the Federal Government.  The amount of money
collected that is greater than the amount expended is "excess." How did
this come about? National income projections were just too low; the economy
did better than expected.  It's not uncommon for these projections to be
far from the mark.  The Congress and the Administration now have to decide
what to do with this "excess" and the "excesses" in future years which are
now anticipated based on current tax rates.

Jon mentioned the fact that most people would buy pop music, not classical
music, if tax refunds were received.  That's true, but it does not change
the fact that lovers of classical music would buy more classical music and
concert performances.

Another poster mentioned that donor corporations would tend to give little
support to the Arts and go for the mass-appeal market.  I don't agree.
Corporations generally love being able to boast of their cultural concerns
and high-mindedness.  Also, the top executives of these corporations do not
tend to love what the masses love.

Don Satz