From:
Len Fehskens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:24:55 -0500
Tom Connor writes:

>However, I would expect a great musical organization to provide something
>beyond the ordinary.  The expectation should be for something unique,
>perhaps something not to be heard like it elsewhere ...
>
>Some Boston Symphony concerts have been very memorable.  For me, in the
>recent past, too many have been nice.

So, you believe it is a reasonable expectation for you (and all of the
orchestra's other patrons) to have a memorable, unique, beyond the ordinary
experience at every concert you attend? That it is a reasonable expectation
for the orchestra to deliver this uniquely memorable extraordinary
experience four times a week, for the twenty some-odd weeks of the season?
Plus three times a week for the ten or so weeks of the Tanglewood season?
And if they don't, that makes Ozawa a disappointment?

I have to wonder if the availability of forty or fifty years worth
of occasionally exceptional performances by many orchestras under many
conductors hasn't set an unapproachable standard of performance that our
practicing orchestras and conductors are expected to regularly exceed in
order to be judged better than mediocre.

len.