From:
Chris Bonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 12:54:13 -0600
Just a quick note: I caught some samples of the Vegh Quartet's Beethoven
cycle and listened to them.  This is inspired quartet playing with just
the right amount of rough-and-tumble attitude to spin them off the chart.
I had heard some negative comments someplace, I don't know where, and had
sort of dismissed them.  Rest assured there is no amateurishness whatsoever
in evidence.  These guys know how to play, and if they sometimes sacrifice
the ultimate in perfection for a living vibrant performance I say so much
the better.

One person who reviewed the set was put off by the first violinist's "heavy
breathing" which he says he heard throughout.  I can't comment on it since
real audio is so lo-fi.  I couldn't really hear it.

I'll have the set, someday...

Chris Bonds