From:
Chih Hao Victor Gan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:05:50 +0000
Pierre Laurent Aimard left an indelible impression when he played (from
memory I might add) Messiaen's _Vingt regards sur l'enfant Jesus_ at
BBC Radio 3's Messiaen weekend in January.  Was anyone else at that
performance? Captivating, and persuasive.  Hearing the last part of his
recent Glasgow performance of more modern piano music, part of the Glasgow
Beyond our shores (?) programme last week, over Radio 3, confirmed his
sensitivity in this repetoire and his ability to make the music mean
something, to help the listener relate, which is something often impossible
the more intellectual the piece and interpretation.  I bought Michel
Beroff's _Vingt regards_ but wasn't too impressed.  A cursory search on
Tower's database indicates Aimard has only recorded Ligetti and some
concerti with Boulez.  Any information or comments from our knowledgeable
listmembers?

Chih Hao Victor Gan <[log in to unmask]>