From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:06:55 PST
Mozart's Sinfonia concertante K364
         Rondo for violin K373
         Concertone for 2 violins K190

Portland Baroque Orchestra
Monica Hugget directing
Monica Huggett violin
Pavlo Beznosiuk viola & violin K190

Virgin Veritas 45290

I've had this disc for a few weeks but last night was the first time I
listened with full concentration and no interruptions.  I read two reviews
of the recording, neither one particularly flattering.

The main attraction is the Sinfonia Concertante.  Huggett's rendition
is not one of the more exciting ones if you're looking for tremendous
climaxes.  But, if the interplay between the two solo instruments is
highly significant to you, this is an absolutely fantastic version.  I
was mesmerized most of the time: instrument placement is perfect, the
two players were like twins in their communication, and I've never heard
such beautiful instruments.  I do have a word of warning; the sound in
the louder orchestral passages tends to be a little congested and fierce.

The other two works receive similar treatment with similar sound.

Overall, there's the relative lack of excitement and some sound problems
versus the best recording I know of for the beauty and interplay of the
solo instruments.  I can't think of this recording as a first choice, but
it has to be an essential choice.  As for the two problems, it's really
only one since the excitement quotient and the sound problem always take
place at the same time.

Don Satz