From:
Mary Esterheld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 14:18:29 -0500
Lindsey Orcutt wrote:

>Jon Johanning wrote:
>
>>The Philadelphia Orchestra has announced that next year, in their
>>centennial season, they will program exclusively 20th-century music
>>(including a number of new commissions).
>
>What impact (financially or otherwise), do you suppose, this programming
>will have on the Philly Orchestra? In Portland we don't seem to have
>adventurous audiences, and I think the orchestra's board members know that;
>hence, the more conservatie programming.  I'll be interested to see what
>happens in Philly, and perhaps to see if any other orchestras follow suit.

Surprisingly to me, it seems as though the 'older' audience (70-80+) are
much more adaptable than reputation implies.  They, of course, like the old
warhorses, but they also like new music, new performers and conductors.  I
haven't done any survey or anything, I'm merely saying this from positive
long-time attendees.  [It's very interesting what you hear in the long
lines after a concert as well as during intermission when the conversation
is about music rather than medical problems.]

Mary Esterheld <[log in to unmask]>