From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:52:11 +0100
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>It's worth remembering that the BBC Music Mag several years ago ran a story
>called: Tchaikovsky: Why the Snobs are Wrong.

Poor Mister Tjajkovskij (and pardon my Swedish spelling, which I am not
to give up), who had to suffer labels as "The emotionally superficial
composer", and "the one for beginners", kids, and when you buy him in the
store...I saw recently a store tried to win new markets with selling Pjotr
Ilyich as "Come and buy!  - The homosexual composer!".  When it comes to me
I don't think a note would be different if one loves men or women.  Some
people would think of my speech there!

And "Why the snobs are wrong".  Why, why, why, are some people afraid to
say they don't like certain composers? - I am not afraid to say Johann
Strauss [Sohn] is one of my favouites!  So you see I am certainly not a
snob!...*s*...btw the great Alexandr Glazunov completely agrees with me.

James Zehm