From:
Ulvi Yurtsever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:13:03 -0800
Peter Horvath:

>In have just purchased Roslyn Tureck's performances of the Six Partitas
>released on the Great Pianists of the Century Series.  I have a very
>difficult time understanding why she is considered to be "the high
>priestess of Bach".  To me her playing is boring and pedantic.  Her
>articulation is poor and unclear much of the time.  She plays Bach on
>the piano with an emphasis on her right hand at all times regardless of
>the counterpoint present in the music.  As Glen Gould would say of others,
>she plays the PIANO not Bach.

?? I don't hear any of the problems you are hearing.  I wouldn't quarrel
with "boring" (a subjective impression), but I certainly don't hear
anything pedantic in her playing, and her articulation sounds crystal clear
to me.  If there is any deficiency in her technique it's that she doesn't
have the fleet fingers of Gould to make her fast passage work sound as
effortless, but other than that her performance is perfectly balanced
between expressiveness and precision.  And you know Gould admired her
Bach greatly.

May be you were in a bad mood, give it another listen some other time.

Ulvi